FOUNDER’S PAGE


Good education is a valuable investment for a nation. It is a priceless asset no nation can afford to ignore. That is why all the world over, governments allocate large percentages of their annual budgets to education.

Because of the importance of education in the life of a nation, individual citizens on their own initiative, establish schools of augment the efforts of the government. These schools take off, more often than not, from humble beginnings and grow almost organically to full –fledged institutions to match established public schools.

One person among private school Proprietors whose contribution to education in Ghana and whose name deserves mentioning is the late TORGBUI KWAKU AMENYODU I, known in private life as Mr. Raphael Addoayi-Dowetin.

He started Datsu in an improvised classroom on a piece of land near Accra Academy with only 12 pupils (4 girls and 8 boys) on June 12, 1962, and engaged the services of two (2) teacher.

Both handled English and Mathis whiles he handled French. Surprisingly, the school has grown into a Complex today with four (4) branches: Bubiashie, Tema, Dansoman and Kasoa.

The man behind it all, the late Raphael Addoayi-Dowetin (alias Torgbui Kwaku Amenyodu 1), was born on October 20, 1933 in Agbozume. He started school at the age of 4 at the St. Peter and Paul Primary schools at Anehor in the Republic of Togo. He completed his secondary education at the St Joseph’s Secondary School (Lome) in 1950, after which he did courses in Administration, Secretaryship and Office Management.

He returned to Ghana and secured employment with CFAO, High Street, Accra under Management of Monsieur Pierre Desparbes. He left after 2 years to teach French at Achimota School for a short while but resigned and joined SCOA Motors, Adjaben as Secretary to the General Manager, Mr. Parmentier for 2 years. His next appointment was with R.T.  Briscoe as Secretary.

Due to ill health, he had to resign after 2 years. On recovery, he was taken back to SOCA and loaned to Total Oil Product (Ghana Ltd), when the company was about to build a refinery at Tema. He was with this company when he was called to the Flagstaff House where he worked under the late Cecil Forde and Mr. J.Y Eduful as a translator.

In 1960. Mr.  Addoayi-Dowetin was transferred to the French Section of Ghana Broadcasting Corporation. It was during his employment with GBC that he accompanied Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah of blessed memory as an Interpreter to Addis Ababa for the inauguration of the OAU Charter in 1963.

He went back to GCB to continue working whilst at the same time ensuring the steady growth of his school. He finally said goodbye to GCB in 1969 to steer the affairs of his school.

For 20 years, he was Chairman of Ghana National Association of Private Schools from 1969 to – 1989, and was presented with an illuminated citation by the National Executive Committee at the end of his term of office on August 11, 1989.

Indeed, he played a big role in fostering education in Ghana.